Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Poker Strategy

I have been somewhat reluctant to post anything about the poker strategy that I follow, incase someone reads this then somehow makes the connection when playing against me, which leads to my ultimate downfall. However, I have decided that players at lower stakes likely wouldn't go to that much trouble to discover their opponents strategies, and even if they did, they wouldn't know my player nickname or the sites I play at.

Anyway, the strategies I've been playing thus far are not secret, and are well known to all. I have been playing the 'Grinder' strategy, where you, as Matt Damon's character says in Rounders: "get your money in when you have the best of it, and protect it whent you dont. Don't give anything away." Neteller has yet to cerifty my account, so I STILL haven't got my hands on the full version of poker tracker in order to analyse my play. Hence I don't really know if I'm actually a winning player yet. I haven't played anywhere near enough hands to be statistically significant, so the flucutations that I'm experiencing now don't really mean anything. It has come to my attention, however, that I'm possibly not a winning player, or that I'm only marginally +EV or a break even player.

What I've decided to do is move away from my Grinder strategy and addopt the play style taught and recommended in 'Small Stakes Hold'em,' by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth. I bought it last year and have already read through it twice a couple of months back, before I started the blog. The material is very specific to small stakes holdem, which is obviously what I play, and takes advantage of mistakes made by other players, typical at lower stakes. The book has 350 plus pages and is very dense in information, so I had no hope of absorbing all the content the first couple of times I read it. Basically it recommends are more looser preflop strategy than I've been playing, and emphasises more on good post flop play than pre-flop, as that is where others make the most mistakes.

In order to help my digest and remember all the information I'm going to write an essay on the book, for my personal use only. I will post back in the future with my progress in following the strategies in the book.

On the bonus front, I haven't started the week very well at all. Almost all of the good sign up bonuses I have already done, and those left have large WR which leads to more fluctuations and me pulling my hair out. I am getting better at keeping track of funds and moving money around etc which is good. Soon I'll be tackling the video poker bonuses, then follows the Semi-stickies (I'll explain later) and Stickies. The semi stickies and stickies have more risk involved but also give the opportunity for me to make big scores, to the tune of 400-800 bucks profit, so I'm looking forward to them too.

Well I'd better get started on that essay then, toodaloo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home